Thursday, July 24, 2014

I Wish...


My cellphone was supplied by my employer.  A certain component of my work (including my pay) requires that I am on-call 24/7/365.  However, there has been a cultural shift wherein the cellphone has created the belief that ANYBODY should be able to contact you ANYTIME.  And you have to answer, whether its a call, a text, an email - nobody believes that you do not have your phone with you.

In 2001 I dumped my cellphone.  I actually received a plaque from my co-workers in 2006 acknowledging my inability to call them back immediately. But technology caught up with me.

I have a growing list of answers to the question, "I called you, you didn't answer…", which is really not a question.

 - I was out for a run…
 - I was in the gym…
 - I was in the shower…

It really starts to fade after that.  You are expected to answer while driving, in a meeting, while eating - anytime it beeps, chirps or rings.  If you asked my co-workers, I am the fittest, cleanest person they know.

For people that don't work with me, they don't know, I could be shooting it out with Russian backed separatists in Ukraine, or undercover as a guy pumping his own gas in a state where you can't pump your own gas…I don't know…but they don't know either.

I am ready to check out.  I mean, I love my iPad - I streamed a sporting event last night on to my TV (thanks to a GREAT Father's Day present), but I am done with the cellphone.

This video does not quite hit it, but I post this for F, and her daughter P, and her daughter M, and F's other daughter H, and her daughter B…and all the rest to come:





….PS - this will all be covered over several chapters in my manifesto…due out in 13.5 years...

6 comments:

LL said...

First, you don't really get "Portlandia" unless you've been to Portland. Once you go, it all makes perfect sense.

Second, I drank the Kool Aid and have found that even if I go to the store or out and about and don't have my cell phone with me that people will text, or e-mail and ask if I'm OK because I missed a call. And you know what? I am just as bad as they are.

One day - and it's not that far away, I'm going to do the Stephen King thing and just close out my cell phone. J/K ROFL, BRB

Grammi Faith said...

Who are you? I have no recollection of a Race Bannon. Sorry, F

Patti said...

Chris, quit making excuses. You're just to cheap to get an iPhone.

Patti said...

too

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

I can't wait to read your manifesto. Could you text it to me when it's done?

Euripides said...

I just leave my phone on silent mode, then answer it during business hours. Call me a rebel....