Saturday, June 6, 2015

June 6...

Bring Your Child to Work Day was April 23rd this year.  Annually, it has not always been a convenient day for me, and most of the years I was not doing something I could bring a child to.  I borrowed a day in June a couple years ago and declared it my take your child to work day.  My oldest was getting ready to fly the coop, into the wild blue yonder, so I got permission to take him with me.  It was not an extraordinary work day, pretty routine, it was a "training" day.  Which was nice, gave him a chance to see what my work looks like a lot of the time. (I imagine professional football or baseball players have pretty good days at work…but on a different level, I do have one of the coolest jobs on the planet - as far as "jobs" go). Some co-workers even took time out of their day to spend with him too.  Just having him there, having him see what I do - just as he was leaving home to start doing what he does - made it one of the best days of my life.

This was just after losing an epic competition to his old man.

As things go, it turned out to be the worst day of my life.  In some ways I have not really moved on from that day, and time seems to stand still.  You never really get enough father-son days, not at work, not at home.  A couple days ago my oldest described his day at "work." It was a "training day" for him too.  Maybe not the best day of his life, but a pretty good "work" day. I hope that some day, if he has a son, he gets to take him to work and have a day like I had.

1 comment:

LL said...

It sounds like he's enjoying Colorado.

And you have every right to be proud of your accomplishments -- but as a father, you're always more proud of your son's. It's one of those inner things that can't be explained any other way than "love".