"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greater dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Louis Brandeis
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Okay, serious now...
The east coast is absolutely preparred. Politicians have been way out in front of this...but like Katrina, I know there are many in the inner cities who just don't get it. They live in public housing, recieve welfare credit cards, government job training for jobs they never apply for...and they are incapable of surviving on their own.
But enough about them, if the storm is bad, you will hear and see them on the news...
The Bannon's, however, are ready:
With no time to catch our breath after the "oh-eleven" earthquake, we are at battle stations.
- We brought in the lawn furnature (never again!)
- The windchimes (even the big one, thanks Mom and Dad and Sis) are in
- The vehicles are full of gas
- Plenty of food, and plenty of propane if gas gets cut off
- All water containers are full, freezers full of ice
- Tubs are full of water
- Candles at the ready, batteries for flashlights
- Plenty of first aid kits
- Sat phone (benefits of the job)
- Mag's loaded and plenty of ammo, 'case the Zombies get any ideas
Having Boyscouts and a Civil Air PatrolRanger helps.
The one thing I didn't do - buy a generator. It was on my list, but at the bottom.
The power back here on the east coast seems to go out every storm. So we may grab our go bags, and head to a hotel with a pool and continental breakfast for a mini-vacation...haven't decided yet. We're watching to see how much it degrades over NC and VA...