Friday, December 30, 2011

Redistribution Justice...

I had seen a version of this before, and thought it was funny.  But this time I listened to the answers, played a little Devil's Advocate...the Devil lost, like he usually does.

These people (we were all probably like these people at one time) ca not make the connection, they all think that it is different when you are talking about income or money.  Listen to their 'reasoning' - "...the thing about rich people is, our society isn't playing fair..."  Every argument they make, is completely transferable from the GPA argument to the income argument. 





Maybe if you explained the difference between "income" and "wealth" to these people, maybe if you explained...really, I don't know what it would take. Real life? That is what it took for many of us.

The Atlantic had an article that included some more "reasoning" as to why it doesn't translate, calling it an Apples to Oranges comparison.  But all the arguments try to change what "income" is - as if it is not earned.  Sure, I believe some salaries are out of whack - but it is a free market, and I can try to go get that higher salary for less work (that is the name of the game).  In fact, I have changed jobs three times, each taking an initial pay cut to do something I wanted to do more.  I also fought hard for my GPA in college (taking my 2nd year off to be a complete zombie). 

To me, the comparison is spot on...

2 comments:

LL said...

It's not the same because the students aren't earning a living and being taxed disproportionately.

Everyone likes to get money for nothing and chicks for free... and some people can (if they're in a rock band), but most people can't.

Grades for nothing - let somebody else earn them for you. (all pigs are equal, some are more equal than others)

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Stupid is not just wasted on the youth anymore.